This website, together with such products or services, is referred to collectively as the “Site” in these Terms.
By using the Site or participating in direct sales, whether for purposes of viewing or ordering Plans or otherwise, you acknowledge that you have read and understood, and agree to be bound by and comply with, these Terms.
A. When you use our website.
1. Who may use the Site or Purchase direct. The Site is intended for use by adults. You must be at least 18 to order or use any Plans or otherwise use the Site.
2. What’s not allowed. When using the Site or purchasing direct, you agree that you will not:
a. violate any applicable present or future laws, rules, orders, ordinances, regulations, statutes, requirements, codes or executive orders of any governmental or judicial authorities (“Applicable Laws”);
b. submit, provide or upload any text, images, video or other materials (“Your Information”) that are unlawful, harmful, fraudulent, threatening, harassing, discriminatory, libelous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene or otherwise objectionable or that may invade another's right of privacy or publicity or infringe any Intellectual Property Rights (as defined below) or other proprietary rights of any third party;
c. submit any personal information, including names or email addresses, pertaining to other individuals;
d. impersonate any person or entity, falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity, or include intentional inaccuracies in Your Information;
e. violate or attempt to violate the security of the Site;
f. reverse engineer or decompile any portion of the Site; or
g. “scrape” information from the Site by automated means or otherwise without authorization.
B. When you order and use our plans.
1. Overview. All of our Plans were created by architects or designers (each, a “Designer”). When you order Plans from CPF Barndominiums, in accordance with these Terms, we own the copyright plans and we license rights to use these Plans directly to you; or
2. Ordering Plans.
a. You may order plans by the exchange of money for the desired plans. You will be responsible for any applicable sales or similar taxes and shipping and handling costs, if specified. All orders to CPF Barndominiums are final, and no refunds will be granted for any reason. Unless otherwise specified, all monetary amounts referenced on the Site refer to U.S. dollars.
3. License. When CPF Barndominiums provides you with Purchased Plans, you are thereby granted, subject to these Terms a limited, non-exclusive license (“License”) to use the Plans to build the home depicted in the Plans (the “Project”) one time and one time only; and to modify and reproduce the Plans solely to the extent required for purposes of satisfying your specific needs and/or to meet the requirements of your specific state and local building codes, ordinances or regulations in completing the Project. In addition to any other requirements set forth in these Terms you agree to comply with the following restrictions, requirements and conditions to which the License is subject:
a. You may not assign, sublicense or transfer the License.
b. You may not re-use the Plans (e.g., for building any additional home(s)), without the prior written consent of CPF Barndominiums, which consent shall require payment of a re-use fee and may be subject to additional conditions, as specified by CPF Barndominiums.
c. You shall not, and shall not authorize or permit anyone else to, sell, redistribute or publish the Plans, or otherwise disclose the Plans to anyone other than contractors, consultants, lenders or governmental agencies on a “need to know” basis as reasonably required for the purpose of building a single home subject to the License.
d. You may not create derivative works based on the Plans other than such modifications as may be required for your own use in building a single home in accordance herewith.
e. You agree that you will have the Plans reviewed and approved by a local professional designer or engineer before the start of any construction.
f. You agree that you will maintain, and will cause your builder and other contractors involved in the Project to maintain, sufficient liability and other insurance coverages with insurance companies licensed in the applicable locations, as required to cover all of your obligations under these Terms and Applicable Laws.
4. Customization Services. If you request that CPF Barndominiums to customize the Plans, the following provisions apply:
a. Overview. CPF Barndominiums, or one of its affiliates or independent Designers, will customize your Plans (“Customization Services”) on request, as detailed below, and provided customized versions of the Plans (“Customized Plans”). For purposes of the Customization Services, references to CPF Barndominiums may apply to CPF Barndominiums’ affiliate or Designer. “Customized Plans” are still Plans for purposes of these Terms. As such, CPF Barndominiums and/or its Designer will retain all Intellectual Property Rights in any Customized Plans, even if the Customized Plans reflect your comments or input.
b. Scope of Work. When you request Customization Services, we will provide you with a proposed scope of work (“Scope”) based on your request, and a price quote. The Customization Services will be deemed complete when we provide you with Customized Plans substantially consistent with the Scope.
c. Additional Services. If you request revisions to the Customized Plans after such delivery, or otherwise require any services outside of the Scope, those services will be considered “Additional Services” and subject to additional fees as specified in a subsequent price quote. By way of clarification, unless otherwise expressly specified in the Scope, Customization Services will not include (i) architectural or engineering services required to make changes to Plans for purposes of compliance with local building codes or to comply with changes in Applicable Laws; (ii) construction cost estimating services, materials lists, take offs and other related services; (iii) site evaluation and selection services; (iv) design and construction review services relating to the contractor's or construction manager’s safety precautions or to the means, methods, techniques, sequences or procedures required for the contractor or construction manager to perform its work, but not relating to the final or completed structure; or (v) services made necessary by the default, failure of performance or termination of the contractor or construction manager under its contract or by defects or deficiencies in the work of a contractor of construction manager.
d. Fees. If you decide to purchase the Customization Services, you will be deemed to have agreed to pay the fees in the amount of the initial price quote. If you decide to purchase Additional Services, you will likewise be deemed to have agreed to pay the fees in the amount of such subsequent price quote. In all cases, you will be responsible for payment of any reimbursable expenses incurred in the interest of the project, including costs, marked up by 10%, of consultants, reproductions, postage and handling, faxes, photography, messenger service, long distance telephone calls, travel and meals, supplies, renderings and models and approved overtime work. Payment is due at time of purchase for the initial Customization Services, and again at the time of purchase of any Additional Services, if applicable, unless otherwise agreed in writing. You will be required to pay interest for any payments due and unpaid more than thirty (30) days after the date of Invoice, at a rate equal to the lesser of (i) 1.5% per month, or (ii) the greatest amount permitted under applicable law. Without limitation of any other rights or remedies under these Terms or pursuant to Applicable Laws, CPF Barndominiums may withhold the release of contract documents for permit, bidding, and construction, if payment on invoices is not current.
e. Client Responsibilities. Your responsibilities in connection with the Customization Services include the following:
providing complete and accurate information regarding custom changes and budget requirements and all physical information about the site and/or building;
rendering approvals and decisions promptly and as necessary for the orderly progress of the Customization Services and in keeping with the mutually acceptable schedule;
obtaining, at your own expense, all required soil studies and land surveys;
crediting CPF Barndominiums and the applicable Designer in publicity involving the project design;
providing, if requested, a written description and/or sketch outlining the proposed changes;
providing a copyright release satisfactory to CPF Barndominiums if you provide the plans that will be subject to the Customization Services;
permitting access to the project site at all reasonable hours and shall be permitted to photograph the project during construction and upon completion for its records and future use
f. Suspension or Termination. Either you or CPF Barndominiums may terminate the Customization Services at any time on at least seven (7) days’ written notice. If you terminate the Customization Services, you will not be entitled to any refund of amounts already paid. If CPF Barndominiums terminates the Customization Services, you will be entitled to an equitable refund based on the portion of the Customization Services prepaid but not already performed, as reasonably determined by CPF Barndominiums. No refund will be issued for the purchase of the original Plans. CPF Barndominiums shall be entitled to compensation for all services and reimbursable expenses incurred prior to receipt of written notice of termination from you. If the Project is resumed, after being terminated for more than one (1) months, and should CPF Barndominiums agree to resume performance of Customization Services, there will be a re-activation fee at 15% of the original customization fee. In the event the CPF Barndominiums does not receive the agreed compensation when due, CPF Barndominiums may, without limitation of its other rights or remedies, suspend performance of the Customization Services.
5. Your Builder’s Responsibilities. You acknowledge and agree that: (i) the following items are your builder's and your responsibilities; (ii) you will use your best efforts to cause your builder to fulfill such responsibilities; and (iii) CPF Barndominiums and its Designers shall have no responsibility or liability with respect to such items:
a. Your builder is responsible for assuring that all work is in accordance with the latest edition of all applicable national, state, and local building codes, construction industry standards and other Applicable Laws.
b. Your builder is responsible for obtaining the required permits and inspections from local governmental agencies.
c. Your builder is responsible for checking the Plans prior to construction to verify all dimensions and details for overall accuracy appropriate to the local conditions.
d. Your builder is responsible for working with you on decisions for the final selection of materials such as masonry, floor joists, lumber, structural members, construction panels, roofing, etc., all of which can create variations in dimension and details. For example, if standard lumber joists are used in place of engineered floor joists, the floor-to-floor dimension would vary from the Plans and require revised stair dimension and framing.
e. Your builder is responsible for providing standard construction details and practices which will result in a structurally sound and weatherproof finished product.
f. Your builder is responsible for all construction means, methods, sequencing, techniques, and safety on the job site of construction workers and third parties.
g. Your builder is responsible for assuring that all materials, equipment and components are new and of good quality.
h. Your builder is responsible for assuring that all manufactured articles, material, and equipment are applied, installed, connected, erected, used, cleaned, adjusted, operated and conditioned as directed by the manufacturers. Your builder must follow all instruction to sustain and preserve all expressed or implied warranties and guarantees. It is the responsibility of the builder to assure that all materials, equipment and components are new and of good quality.
C. Generally Applicable Terms.
2. Indemnity. You agree to indemnify and defend CPF Barndominiums and its affiliates, and their respective Designers or other licensors, and the officers, directors, owners, agents, representatives, contractors, employees and assigns of the foregoing (collectively, the "Indemnified Parties") and hold them harmless from and against any and all losses, demands, causes of action, damages, liability and costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys' fees, incurred or sustained by any of the Indemnified Parties in connection with (i) the use, construction, conversion, modification, misinterpretation, misuse, or reuse by you or others of the Plans or any other drawings, data or other materials furnished by CPF Barndominiums or any Designers; (ii) any negligence or other acts or omissions by you or any of your employees, consultants, advisors, agents, representatives or contractors; and (iii) any breach by you of any of the provisions of these Terms and any applicable Designer Agreement. CPF Barndominiums reserves the right, at its own expense, to assume, or permit a Designer to assume, the exclusive defense and control of any matter subject to indemnification by you.
3. DISCLAIMER. YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK FOR YOUR USE OF THE SITE, INCLUDING ANY PLANS. THE SITE, INCLUDING ANY PLANS, IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. WITHOUT LIMITATION OF THE FOREGOING, YOU AGREE THAT IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE, PRIOR TO USE OF ANY PLANS, THAT SUCH PLANS ARE ACCURATE, SUITABLE FOR YOUR PURPOSES AND COMPLIANT WITH ALL APPLICABLE LAWS.
4. Additional caveats, disclaimers and requirements.
a. The Plans are intended to indicate design intent and basic construction detailing. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have obtained the proper professional assistance to provide standard construction details and practices, which will result in a structurally sound and weatherproof finished product. Any use of the Plans, and/or modifications of the Plans, by you, builders or others on your behalf, is done at your own risk.
b. The Plans do not include any plumbing, heating or air conditioning drawings due to the wide variety of local codes and climatic conditions. We recommend that you have a local electrical engineer, mechanical engineer or builder provide such of these drawings as may be required for permits and construction.
c. Any foundation plan and associated details included in the Plans are intended to serve as a basic guide for a typical foundation system. This typical foundation system is not site- or location-specific. You acknowledge our recommendation that you have a local designer or licensed engineer review the Plans and provide a site-specific foundation design if found necessary.
d. The Plans provide ideas and concepts and are not intended to be complete in all respects and details. Variations in standard sizes (e.g., of windows and doors), and brands, thicknesses, types and uses of different materials can change details. Varying local codes, ordinances, regulations, foundation requirements, and the layout of electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems may also require changes of details.
e. CPF Barndominiums engages Designers that it believes to be reliable. However, you should normally anticipate that some changes and adjustments in the project will be required to correct possible errors and omissions in the Plans. Such changes are not indicative of, and should not be construed as, negligence on the part of the Designer.
f. Names of materials and manufacturers shown on the Plans do not represent an endorsement or recommendation by CPF Barndominiums or Designer. Final selections of materials are the responsibility of you and/or your builder, including proper installation of materials, nailing, gluing, caulking, insulating, flashing, roofing, weatherproofing and many other small items and details not necessarily indicated on the Plans; and CPF Barndominiums and Designer have no control or responsibility with respect to such matters.
g. The Plans do not have an architectural or engineering signature, seal and/or stamp. You agree to consult the local building official who can tell you if a review of the Plans by a licensed designer or engineer is required prior to submission of the Plans for a building permit. Because of the great differences in geography and climate in different areas, each state, county, and municipality has its own building codes, zoning requirements, ordinances, and/or building regulations. The Plans may need to be modified to comply with local requirements. In addition, you may need to obtain permits or inspections from local governments before and in the course of construction. Your right to use the Plans is conditioned on your agreement to, and you affirm that you shall: (i) consult a locally licensed designer or engineer of your choice prior to beginning construction, and (ii) strictly comply with all local building codes, zoning requirements, and other applicable laws, regulations, ordinances, and requirements.
h. Plans purchased for homes to be built in certain jurisdictions, such as the State of Nevada, must be redrawn by a locally registered professional; and you agree that, if applicable, you will consult a local building official or legal counsel with respect to such requirements.
i. Due to the large number of Plans and price options for those Plans offered by CPF Barndominiums, data entry and other errors inevitably may occur in the text and pricing shown on this Site. CPF Barndominiums reserves the right to correct such errors as they are discovered, and no order and pricing with respect to that order shall be final until confirmed by CPF Barndominiums.
j. Some photographs that appear on the Site of houses that have been built may be based on modifications made to the Plans associated with photograph, and, in such case, those modifications are not incorporated into the Plans.
5. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT SHALL CPF Barndominiums OR ITS AFFILIATES OR ANY DESIGNERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH YOUR USE OF, DELAY IN USING, OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE, INCLUDING ANY PLANS. CPF Barndominiums' AND ITS DESIGNERS’ LIABILITY FOR ANY DIRECT DAMAGES SHALL BE LIMITED TO (A) THE AMOUNT, IF ANY, YOU HAVE PAID TO CPF Barndominiums IN CONNECTION WITH THE MATTER GIVING RISE TO SUCH LIABILITY, OR (B) IF YOU HAVE NOT MADE ANY PAYMENT, THE AMOUNT OF $100. SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES AND THUS CERTAIN LIMITATIONS ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IF THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY OR THE EXCLUSION OF WARRANTY SET FORTH ABOVE IS HELD INAPPLICABLE OR UNENFORCEABLE FOR ANY REASON, CPF Barndominiums' MAXIMUM LIABILITY FOR ANY TYPE OF DAMAGES SHALL BE LIMITED TO $100.
6. Changes to these terms. CPF Barndominiums may modify these Terms at any time by posting changes on the Site; however, (i) these changes will only become effective and binding with respect to you after CPF Barndominiums provides notice on the Site that these Terms have changed, and you first use the Site following the date of such posting, (ii) the changes will only apply with respect to your use of the Site, including any ordering or use of Plans, after such changes become effective, and (iii) any imposition or change of payment obligations, if any, will only apply if and when you expressly agree. If at any time you find these Terms unacceptable and do not agree with them, you thereafter will have no right to use or access the Site.
7. Engineered Stamps. No engineered stamp is included on any custom or model plan purchased from CPF Barndominiums.
8. Major Design Changes on Custom Plans. If a customer makes design changes on a custom plan after the initial layout has been approved the customer will be billed hourly for any time needed to make such design changes.